- Position yourself as far away from the TV as possible.
- As an alternative, you can dominate the viewing selection by turning up the volume on repulsive shows like Hoarders, thus forcing fans to flee into another part of the house.
- Stock up on perishables to sustain you, since no one else will be eating until the final score, and maybe for several hours after depending on the injustice of the sports gods.
- Keep earplugs nearby in case of excessive screaming over a bad call by a vision-impaired referee.
- Become engrossed in a good book set in a land devoid of all competitive activities but that still offers a compelling plot line. (No Hunger Games, in other words)
- Sneak in a nap during halftime while fans are mumbling about strategy behind closed doors.
- Above all (and this is most important) always remove yourself from the premises during the last “five” minutes of the game, which could take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.
- Return for happy hour or unhappy hour, depending on the fates.
- Next Saturday: Do it all over again.